Medical Marijuana – Misc
What is the process for obtaining a Florida Medical Marijuana certification?
Dr. Baijnath will review your condition and determine if you qualify under Florida State Medical Marijuana Law.
- If you do qualify, then you will be registered into the medical marijuana registry and given step by step instruction on uploading required documents to the state registry. Once you receive your medical marijuana card you will be able to order products from the dispensaries.
- In order to qualify for Medical Marijuana Certification in Florida, we will need to review medical records supporting your qualifying condition. Your medical records do not have to be available at the time of your appointment.
How do I know if I qualify for Medical Marijuana in Florida?
According to Florida Medical Marijuana law, in order to qualify for medical marijuana certification in Florida, you must have a diagnosis with one of the following medical conditions:
- Chronic Pain
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Hepatitis C (active form)
- Seizure Disorders
- Severe Muscle Spasms (Including MS)
- Severe Nausea
Will insurance cover my appointment and evaluation?
In certain rare cases your initial consultation may be covered by insurance but likely will not be. Please call our office for more information.
What if I don’t have the correct medical records for the visit?
Not a problem. During the visit our providers will identify what records we need. We will provide you with a Medical Record Release form to sign and we will send it to the appropriate providers.
What if I don’t have medical records because I do not see medical providers?
We will evaluate your condition during the initial visit and provide you with a specific individualized plan. This may involve conservative, conventional and integrative therapies such as physical therapy, manipulation, medicines, supplements, or a consultation with another medical provider. After completing the required conventional evaluation and/or treatment, we will reassess your eligibility for a medical marijuana certification.
Where do I obtain Medical Marijuana In Florida?
Certified patients who have a Florida State Issued Picture ID can only obtain cannabis products from a medical marijuana dispensary.
What to expect during your consultation
1. Dr. Baijnath will determine if you have a qualifying condition.
2. If you have a qualifying condition, you will then be registered in the Medical Marijuana Registry.
3. You will receive your P NUMBER along with the application to mail to the state.
4. The initial consultation fee is $169.
5. 6-month follow-up visit is $169.
What is the application process like?
1. You will submit your application along with a $75 money order, passport photo and proof of residency to the state.
2. You will receive an EMAIL from the State saying that you are approved (4-6 weeks) this will serve as your temporary ID Card. You will receive your physical card in the mail within 2 weeks of the email.
3. You can use your temporary card to order products from the dispensary.
How do I get my medication?
1. Dr. Baijnath will enter a 60-day supply of medication on your first visit.
2. We will automatically refill your prescription 2 times before your next visit.
3. If the medication is not working and you need to make changes, you need to make an appointment.
4. Please email us if you have questions regarding your refill. Email: email@example.com
When do I have to renew my medical marijuana card?
• It is required by the state of Florida to renew your id card at least 35 days before the expiration date on your id card every year.
• Do not renew your card before 60 days before the expiration date on your card, the Marijuana State Registry will consider it a duplicate and reject the application and assess a $35 fee when re-submitting your paperwork.
• The renewal fee is $75.
How do I take medical marijuana?
1. Medical Marijuana is available in Inhalation and oral products.
2. Inhalation (vapes) quick onset and will last 3-4 hours.
3. Orals – tinctures and capsules, takes effect in 1-2 hours and last 5-8 hours.
How often do I need to see the doctor?
You will need to be seen by Dr. Baijnath every 6 months for follow visit.
Medical Marijuana – Why
Why Medical Marijuana?
Cannabis Sativa, also know as marijuana, has been valued for 5,000 years as one of the most therapeutic herbs on the planet. Seventy years of marijuana prohibition have generated a plethora of biased opinions, misinformation, and unscientific public policy. Luckily, medical marijuana is making a return to the front lines of medicine, where its versatility, safety, and efficacy stand out amongst the alternatives.
Medical marijuana interacts with a person’s endocannabinoid system, a physiologic system within all people which functions to promote balance and healing at a cellular level. The endocannabinoid system is already hard at work helping you recover from injuries, coordinate your immune system, balance the brain and nervous system, and much more. Using marijuana appropriately can enhance these healing properties.
As an integrative physician, I always choose treatments that are safe, natural, and minimally invasive whenever possible. I primarily rely on herbs, supplements, and non-drug treatments like mind-body medicine. Cannabis is a natural choice because of its impressive safety profile:
- Side effects are mild and easily corrected by adjusting dosage, strain, and delivery system.
- There are no lasting negative cognitive effects, even with long-term use.
- Marijuana does not cause cancer, and in many situations can prevent and help fight cancer cells.
- There is no fatal overdose.
- It lessens people’s reliance on more harmful substances, including prescription pharmaceuticals.
I have been impressed by marijuana’s efficacy on my patients. I routinely hear that this medicine not only improves symptoms, but helps globally to improve quality of life by improving mood, enhancing sleep, decreasing stress, and helping people feel connected to something greater than themselves. Patients routinely tell me this herb has helped them reclaim their lives from suffering and illness, while reducing their need for other medications.
Marijuana can be delivered via vaporizing, liquid tinctures, capsules, topical salves and edibles (coming soon). Medical marijuana is available only through dispensaries.
We specialize in medical marijuana consultations. Maximizing the benefits and minimizing the harm of medical marijuana requires an individualized approach with education on dosage, strain, delivery systems, and the more subtle aspects of one’s relationship with this medicine plant. We warmly invite you to explore a medical marijuana consultation as part of a holistic approach to health.
PRP – Platelet Rich Plasma
Platelet activation plays a key role in the process of wound and soft tissue healing. Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), which is the result of spinning the patient’s own blood to achieve a high concentration of platelets, is used to promote healing of injured tendons, ligaments, muscles, joints, and skin imperfections.
Annual Physical Exam
Annual check-ups play a key role in maintaining health and detecting issues before they become problems. eMDe Cares offers a variety of voluntary and mandatory exams, including school physicals, work physicals, well visits and yearly medical check-ups.
Pre-Operative Medical Exams
Although Dr. Baijnath does not admit or manage patients during hospitalization, she does offer pre-operative evaluations for patients undergoing out-patient surgeries. eMDe Cares will work with your surgeon to ensure all blood testing, procedures, and paperwork are completed prior to scheduled surgery.
Acute and Chronic Disease Management
– What is an acute illness? This is a condition of recent onset, such as a cough/cold, back pain, bronchitis, or strained muscles. With supportive care and proper treatment from eMDe Cares, this condition can often resolve completely.
– What is a Chronic Disease? This is a long standing condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, COPD, asthma, etc. These conditions should be monitored closely by a physician to ensure symptoms are controlled and to minimize side effects or toxicity from medication. At eMDe Cares we not only help manage these conditions, but also strive to incorporate alternative treatments such as dietary and lifestyle modification to control or reverse underlying causes. Our goal is to have you feeling well and living an active lifestyle with the least amount of medication possible. Successful candidates for our practice are individuals who are open to change and proactive in improving their own health.
Healthy Aging, Healthy Weight and Metabolism
As we age, our bodies’ natural production of hormones gradually declines. This is important to understand because our hormones (especially thyroid hormones and male & female sex hormones) significantly affect mood, sleep patterns, metabolism, bone health, sex drive and host of other organ functions. As life expectancies have lengthened in modern society, aging has become a chronic problem and brought into focus ‘quality of life” issues. At eMDe Cares we recognize this shifting pattern in adult medicine. By simply balancing your hormones we can help improve mood, sleep, muscle aches & pains, metabolic rate, and other declining conditions to achieve both a healthier body and overall sense of well-being.
Heart Health, Elevated cholesterol, High blood pressure
Chronic conditions such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol may cause hardening of the arteries, eventually lead to heart attack or stroke. The causes of high blood pressure and high cholesterol are multi-factorial, including genetics, environmental influences, and/or lifestyle choices such as fast foods, alcohol, smoking and inadequate exercise. However, it is possible to reverse these conditions without medication by maintaining an ideal body weight, eating healthy foods, and exercising. At eMDe Cares a diet coach can assist in developing a customized plan and keeping you on track with your goals.
Endocrine Disorders, Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, Thyroid Disorder
The endocrine system is a collection of hormone-producing glands that regulate metabolism, growth and development, tissue function, sexual function, reproduction, sleep, mood , and other body systems.
Hormone levels which are too high or low indicate a problem with the endocrine system. The most common endocrine disease in the U.S. is diabetes, a condition in which the body does not produce enough insulin to properly process sugars. Left untreated, elevated blood sugars can damage every organ in the body, cause blindness, cause chronic kidney failure requiring dialysis, and suppress the immune system & wound healing. These serious conditions, coupled with nerve damage, can leads to foot amputations. With proper treatment and tight glucose control, one can manage these conditions and live a long, healthy life.
Another disorder, hypothyroidism, occurs when the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone to meet the body’s needs. Insufficient thyroid hormone can cause many body’s functions to slow or shut down completely. This may lead to fatigue, lack of energy, depression, slow metabolism and weight gain. This condition often goes undiagnosed or untreated because the traditional way of testing thyroid hormones only checks TSH and T4 (which can mistakenly signal no problems with the thyroid). eMDe Cares encourages a more comprehensive thyroid panel to include T3 testing, which may signal an opportunity to correct T3 with bio-identical hormone therapy.
Female Disorders, PMS, Menopause, PCOS, Osteoporosis
Hormone imbalances can have a significant impact on the reproductive system, particularly in women. Among the top complications are:
Researchers have found more than 200 possible premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms. These include irritability, bloating, cramping, cravings, headaches, breast tenderness, and others … sometimes occurring all at once.
- What Causes PMS symptoms?
Estrogen and progesterone are two sex hormones that fluctuate during a 28-day menstrual cycle. Various factors can disrupt the natural rhythm of these hormones, causing an imbalance and triggering symptoms we commonly associate with PMS.
- Prescription strength Bio-identical progesterone for PMS
Women commonly manage PMS systems through birth control pills and/or antidepressants. However, an alternative treatment, especially for women suffering from abnormal symptoms, is prescription progesterone. The first step is to have us test your progesterone levels to determine whether this treatment is right for you.
Menopause / Peri-menopause
Call our Office for Answers to these questions.
PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Women with PCOS have ovaries that create an abundance of follicles each month without producing an egg. PCOS can contribute to irregular periods, depression, excessive weight gain, acne, unwanted facial hair, and even infertility.
- PCOS and Insulin Resistance
A telltale symptom of PCOS is steady, significant weight gain, especially around the midsection, even when caloric intake is reduced. Research shows a strong correlation between PCOS and insulin resistance. Insulin resistance, which is commonly caused by overconsumption of carbohydrates, leads to sustained elevated levels of insulin in the bloodstream. This excess insulin is believed to attach itself to receptors that line the ovaries and stimulate cyst production. Those with this condition run a higher risk of developing other serious health problems like diabetes. Fortunately, women with insulin resistance and PCOS can respond well to dietary modifications, nutritional supplements, and regular exercise.
Historically, PCOS has been largely misdiagnosed or overlooked entirely. If diagnosed, it’s often treated with birth control pills, but this approach tends to treat the symptoms rather than underlying causes like insulin resistance. Some physicians are now prescribing Glucophage (for blood sugar control), but in our view, this isn’t a sustainable treatment, especially if the patient isn’t adhering well to healthy lifestyle practices. At eMDe Cares, we treat with a combination approach based on nutritional supplements, progesterone creams/pills, diet counseling, and regular exercise.
Bone strength is influenced by many factors: genetics, body frame, diet, calcium intake, vitamin D levels, hormonal balance, stress, and lifestyle. Because bones are constantly regenerating, every positive step towards supporting their function makes a big difference.
By our early 30’s, most women and men have reached peak bone mass. By the late 30’s, bone resorption is slightly higher than formation (about .5-1%). After menopause, this rate accelerates to 1-5%, on average, depending on a woman’s diet, exercise, body frame, drug intake, and overall health. Within five years after menopause, bone loss levels-out again to a more gradual decline of 1-1.5% per year. However, with osteoporosis, the rate of bone loss kicks into hyper-drive, resulting in up to 25% decline in the ten years following menopause.
Research shows a strong correlation between vitamin D deficiency and osteoporosis, as well as many other health concerns like depression, immune dysfunction, diabetes, and heart disease. Our bones, as well as hair, teeth and nails, are mirrors of what we put into our bodies. At eMDe Cares, we counsel patients on how prevent & treat osteoporosis as follows:
- Daily medical-grade nutritional supplement rich in minerals and nutrients.
- Balanced diet rich in whole grains, leafy green vegetables, fruit, and seaweed products. If eat dairy, organic versions are preferred.
- Limit protein and avoid refined carbohydrates & simple sugars. Avoid sodas and caffeine, as they can weaken bones.
- Support hormonal balance during peri-menopause.
- Exercise daily, include weight-bearing exercises.
- After age 50, request bone scans every 2 years to monitor bone density
Sleep Disorder and Insomnia
Insomnia can wreak havoc on people’s lives and is one of the most common reasons people seek out medical help. For many patients, hormone imbalance can be a primary culprit. Shifting hormones can cause temperature disturbances, triggering hot flashes and night sweats for both men & women alike. Lack of sleep can also impede melatonin production, which we need in order to signal the brain to slow down. At eMDe Cares, we identify the root cause of your insomnia and commonly treat patients with hormones & natural supplements without reliance on prescription sleep aids.
Bio Identical Hormone Therapy
This refers to the use of customized compounded formulations of natural hormones to correct hormone imbalances in men and women as they age.
Common Conditions treated with Bio-identical Hormone:
- Peri-Menopausal Syndrome
- Adult Acne
- Menopause Symptoms
- Chronic Fatigue
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Erectile Dysfunction
Among the treatments we offer are:
- Thryoid Hormones
- Pellet Hormone Therapy
Medically supervised weight loss is recommended for treating & reducing the risk associated with obesity. The first line of therapy is a personalized program offering a structured approach to diet, nutritional supplementation, exercise, lifestyle, and stress management. Additionally, we incorporate one or more of the following treatments:
- Hormone Optimization
- HCG program
- IV or IM Supplements
The ancient practice of Ayurveda teaches us that disease starts in the digestive tract. Common digestive problems include “leaky gut” syndrome, heartburn, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, celiac spruce, autoimmune disorders, rheumatologic conditions, and food & environmental allergies. By focusing on digestive healing and balance, we can improve digestive health. Our approach incorporates one or more of the following objectives:
- Restore gut health by eliminating harmful microorganisms
- Heal the digestive tract with proper nutritional and immune support
- Replenish digestive enzymes
- Diet and Lifestyle coaching
Chronic pain afflicts millions of Americans in all phases of their lives. While medication can help manage pain levels, it rarely addresses the cause and can lead to drug dependency & other compounding complications. At eMDe Cares, in concert with responsible pain medication, we utilize a combination of natural therapies to mitigate or eliminate the root cause of pain. Among our treatments:
- Trigger Point Injections
- Medication Management
- Referral to PT, acupuncture, chiropractor, massage therapy
- Referral to Yoga Therapy
- Referrals & Discounts for ergonomic & other specialty devices
- Lifestyle recommendations
This therapy can be helpful for individuals who are unable to absorb nutrients or for treatment of certain health conditions. Among our treatments:
- IV Glutathione
- IV Myers’ Cocktails
- Weight Loss Formulas
- B12 Injections
Common health conditions treated with intravenous therapy:
- Vitamin Deficiency
- Chronic Fatigue Syndromes
- Poor Cognition
- Migraine Headaches
- Immune Enhancement
Skin Consultations and Product Selection
Many skin conditions like premature aging, acne, and rosacea have been linked to chronic inflammation caused by diet, environment, or inappropriate skin care products. Most of these factors can be controlled, thus reversing inflammation and leading to healthy skin. At eMDe Cares we develop a treatment plan that targets inflammation from the inside out, with particular focus on diet and lifestyle choices. Among our treatments:
- Medical grade skin care products and supplements for soothing the skin
- Medical grade glycolic peels and dermabrasion for mild to moderate acne scaring, uneven skin tone, and blotchiness.
- Physician administered Botox injections for stubborn lines & wrinkles, coupled with peels and dermabrasion treatments.
Skin tag & mole removals performed via electrocaudery and other medical tools
Botox injections are the best known of a group of medications that use various forms of botulinum toxin to temporarily paralyze muscle activity. This toxin is produced by the microbe that causes botulism, a type of food poisoning. Noted primarily for the ability to reduce the appearance of some facial wrinkles, Botox injections are also used to treat other medical conditions, including chronic migraines in some people.